Only Simchas

 

    The month of December is schizophrenic. There are holidays that foster family gatherings. We assemble for good times and eat a lot and drink a lot and hugs are plentiful. Then, depending on what part of the country you live in, you exit to nasty weather with snow and blowing winds. Nighttime arrives early and all you want to do is get under the covers. Of course, if you live in Florida like I do you have sunny days and temps close to 80 degrees but in order to jubilate with family and friends we must travel 1000 miles. 

Louis at age 19 or 20

Al Boxinbaum


Isaac Koff at age 3

    Some people have other things to celebrate in December. Birthdays and anniversaries. I printed a report from my Rootsmagic software program of all of these blessed events in the month of December. 68 people in my tree had birthdays this month an8d of course that is only for people that I actually have documented birth dates for. The oldest is my paternal grandfather, Louis Levine who would be 136 years old on the 20th. The youngest is Isaac Finnigan Koff who turned 3 earlier this month. Isaac is Arlene’s first cousin twice removed. Other notable birthdays in December are my sister, Marian, Feige Kaganovich (my paternal grandmother’s sister), My uncle Al Boxinbaum, and Carl Pasternak, my great uncle who I featured in a blog post a couple of months ago. The list goes on with surnames of Abramson, Bastunski, Muckler, and Liberman. Happy real birthdays to those who are still alive and happy heavenly birthday to those who we only remember.
     Birthday celebrants in December have historically felt cheated because of the close proximity to Hanukkah and Christmas. Their gifts were always combined and the aura of the holiday dulls the shine of their own celebration. I can’t remember if that happened to my sister and I don’t think my grandfather really cared as old as he was. 
Emil and Sarah Becker

     Thirteen couples in my tree tied the knot in December. My uncle Carl Pasternak married Betty Lucatch on the 6th and his son Ron Pasternak celebrates 49 years of marriage to Robyn Dickler in just a couple of days. Arlene’s great uncle, Emil Becker married Sarah Hamburg on December 1st and his nephew Leonard Becker wed Josephine Leitner on December 2nd, 38 years later. My great aunt Jenny Pasternak married Joseph Skulko during this month and their daughter Gloria was wed to Moe Klein in December as well. My great, great grandfather, Benjamin Kaganovich had a granddaughter named Zade Rogell through his daughter, Tsippi. Zade married Sigmund Klein in 1905 and would be married 116 years which is the longest documented marriage I have in my tree for the 12th month of the year. 
     I don’t know if anniversaries were as affected by the holidays the way birthdays are but the cold weather could certainly put a damper on a wedding celebration. Much of my family is from the northeast United States and Canada and December is cold, wet, snowy, and windy. Outdoor weddings during that time were not an option and if the weather is bad enough it could certainly keep people away. However, love will always prevail in these matters.
     A simcha is a wonderful thing and if it falls on a religious or secular holiday that just adds to the merriment. We hope to only celebrate happy occasions and although we know that can’t or won’t happen, we dwell on those joyous thoughts. So let me say to all of you, enjoy the holidays that you observe and have a happy and healthy new year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sisters

Only Simchas